Wednesday, September 3, 2008

God made a good match

5:45 am, Wednesday morning rolled around quickly. My first client. What am I going to be doing for 8 hours ? How long does it to re-heat a meal , make a bed and straighten up three rooms and make a snack ?

I eagerly awaited in the clients drive way for the case manager to do a meet and greet with the client. What will he be like ? Will he like me ? Will I like him?

Opening the door to his house the case manager called out his name. He answered in a sweet, weak voice,"I'm here". As we rounded the corner I quickly gave him the once over and sighed a deep sigh of relief. Its going to be okay, I thought to myself.
After the case manager introduced us and she left, me sat at his kitchen table making small talk. I noticed pictures of tractors and barns and milk cans. Ah hah ! Something to talk about. After 30 minutes or so we had exhausted the conversation and we both stuck our heads in the newspaper, end of conversation for about an hour and a half. My butt was crying out by that time. I quickly reminded him he needed to stretch out his legs and with that we sat in the living room. Within a few minutes he settled in for a nap. Did I say he slept at the table too while pretending to read the paper?

Lunch time rolled around and I warmed up his lunch and ate with him. I suggested another walk in his walker around the house so he would wake up some. Again we sat at the table and made small talk.

Whew it was getting so hot in there. I looked at the temp outside and it read 70 degrees and then I saw the thermostat in the house and it was a blistering 80 degrees. I was wiping sweat off my face and neck. I could almost wring out the napkin.

In his kitchen he has two jars of popcorn to be popped. How fun is that ? He also has a pressure cooker next to his sink. I just used mine last week. We are too much alike.

No comments: